“At GE, we solve problems for customers and find solutions that make things better for society, the environment and the economy.” Jeff Immelt, 2016
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) challenge all of us to find ways to improve the lives of people today and in the future. As the SDGs were being developed, GE pulled together a global, cross-business team to evaluate what the SDGs meant to us and how we could further them. As one of the world’s leading infrastructure companies, we recognize our unique potential to help solve some of the most difficult sustainable development challenges. There are many opportunities for us to partner on the SDGs but five are particularly aligned to GE’s core mission of providing infrastructure for energy, water, transportation and health.
The interactive graphic below illustrates how we approach the 17 goals with links to GE’s business strategy related to that goal.
- GE Solutions: Specific skills, knowledge and solutions that we believe enable us to have a significant positive impact executing against the goals.
- Enabling Frameworks: Areas of ongoing activity that are important to our business strategy and global economic growth.
- Shared Objectives: Goals that we engage on when appropriate, but that we believe other stakeholders have a more direct capability and mission to influence.
GE Solutions that advance the goals
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Enabling frameworks for a growing economy
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
- By 2030, ensure that all girls and boys complete free, equitable and quality primary and secondary education leading to relevant and effective learning outcomes
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Shared objectives to support
- Protect, restore, and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- End Poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels